Unplug

"High Tea", pastel 5x7"

"Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes... including you."
Ann Lamott


My go-to recommendation for myself or a loved one who is upset or agitated is to "make a cup of tea." I serve tea in my studio where I teach classes, too. It is good to step away from our work and unplug for a few minutes to let the art-making settle into place. We can then return, calm and with clear eyes, to continue on the journey of making something beautiful.

Our feelings of stress in painting sometimes come from our unwillingness to plan a little before we begin. Take time to make a map.





I was more relaxed and happy doing this painting, "High Tea", because I mapped out two important  steps before I began.


  1. I carefully drew my subject with charcoal. With this subject I knew I had to get the ellipses pretty perfect! I used my kneaded eraser a lot!
  2. I spent a lot of time adding values to the drawing with charcoal. 

I had my road map.  I only needed to do one more thing before playing with my pastels.

Unplug and make a cup of tea.
Judy
www.judyalbrightart.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've looked at life...

Bird Inspiration!

Comfort Zone Revisited