A New Perspective

"Three Cups of Tea", pastel, 11x14"
I am more than happy to learn that this painting has been accepted into the 2017 International Association Of Pastel Societies, (IAPS) online juried show. I don't know what criteria the jurors used to select this painting but composition may have played a part.

We have been discussing composition in the class I teach in beginning pastel. I wish that I had had more instruction in how to create a painting with good composition. So that is why I try to teach this early on in a beginner's experience.

One thing to consider is "point of view." This painting looks down on the subject rather than composing it from a straight on point of view. This does not necessarily make it better or more interesting, but is something to consider when looking at a subject. There are also "leading lines" (the spoons) and "repeated pattern" (the rims of the cups) that contribute to the success of the composition.

Maybe I will win an award, but probably not. There are so many great works out there, but it just feels good to get in!

Have fun playing with your pastels!
Judy
www.judyalbrightart.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I've looked at life...

Bird Inspiration!

So You Better Get Ready