Scribbling Like a Two Year Old

"Let the Wetlands Stand", pastel, 6x6"
I regressed to a two year old at the workshop I attended last week!

Robert Carsten led the workshop with enthusiasm, kindness and humor. He is the most wonderful teacher and I have to say, I tried many new things during the four days of painting at the Landgrove Inn, in Landgrove, VT.  I met so many wonderful artists (and ate way too many wonderful meals!)

I pass by this spot near my home frequently and I have painted it before, but I never tried this crazy under-painting technique...

First we did an under-painting using a light layer of pastel brushed over with rubbing alcohol. We kept close attention to values but used colors very different from the local colors of our scene.

Then we randomly scribbled all over the painting with pastels until our original under-painting nearly disappeared. We were to pick any pretty colors we were drawn to and we scribbled with the abandon and joy of a two year old! Here is a photo showing my under-painting with the early stages scribbling on top of it...

We then began to reclaim our original values with scribbling and moving toward other strokes to get to a place where we liked the level of reality, but still maintaining some of the under-painting/scribbling colors.

The results were often lively and atmospheric. All had a unity of color because we scribbled ALL over the painting with each stick of pastel.

I hope to bring Robert to my neck of the woods to teach next year. He is a very encouraging and gifted teacher!

Have fun playing with your pastels!
Judy




Comments

  1. That's a gorgeous painting,
    but how much moe gorgeous
    it shall be in Seventh-Heaven...

    Why else does a moth fly FROM the night
    than to a bold, attractive candle Light??
    Don’t let His extravagant brilliance be extinguished.
    You’re creative, yes? Then, fly-away with us…

    Whether you obtain morality4mortality to wiseabove
    or just glean tantalizing specimens for thy next best seller,
    I realize my penname is quite morbid, yet,
    you shall find in our blogs a lotta (subliminal) moxie
    which has taken this sinfull mortal yeeeeers to compile:
    I lay it ALL out for you, dear, with All-Star-Oxygems:

    Wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
    of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible cranium?
    An XtraXcitinXpose with no
    zooillogical-expiration-date?
    An IQ much higher than K2?
    An extraordinarily, anti-establishment victory
    with a sardonic, satirical wit Who’s savvy??
    Here’s what the exquisite, prolific GODy sed
    (with a most-excellent-detector of bull§ht):

    “Faith, hope, and love,
    the greatest of these is love -
    jump into faith...
    and you'll see with love”
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe (what I write);
    God believes in you.

    Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down
    from a passionate, lucrative iconoclasm where you’ll find
    nonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsX…
    of deluxe-HTTP [<- pi] opportunities for excitement BTW.

    Do it. Do the deed, dude. Sign into the Big-Zaftig-House.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I've looked at life...

Bird Inspiration!

Comfort Zone Revisited