A Touch of Gray


Making myself do a thumbnail sketch and a value under-painting is really worthwhile. Take a look at the process I used to create the painting below...
Click here to own this painting!

 Here is the reference photo. It was a beautiful sunset, but the camera didn't really capture the feeling


I did a quick sketch eliminating some trees that I thought weren't important in the composition.

Next, the charcoal value under-painting sets the stage and reminds me where I want to go.


"A Touch of Gray", pastel, 6x6"

My students used this process last week to begin a still life painting. 
Everyone is progressing very nicely!

Linda W. sent this link to see the wonderful Matisse exhibit that is closing today at MOMA. Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've looked at life...

Bird Inspiration!

Comfort Zone Revisited