Stick to Your Values


"Tangled Up in Blue", oil, 12x12"
The dictionary says...

"Core values are the guiding principles that dictate behavior and action."

I hold many core values that have been defined by my faith and my upbringing. I try to stick with them in all that I do as a person and a citizen.

As an artist the concepts of value and color guide my palette choices. I try to always begin a painting with a small value study such as this one for "Tangled Up in Blue". (The tick marks guide me when I transfer my composition to my painting surface.)


I have a little trick I use to check my values as I paint...

I take a photo of the painting and use the mono filter to change it to a black and white version of the painting.

It is pretty close to the value study! Yeah! When it isn't, this trick helps me make adjustments. Notice how I added some highlight to the spoon.


Stick to your values in life and in painting!
Judy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've looked at life...

Bird Inspiration!

Comfort Zone Revisited