|Cloud Illusions, I Recall, pastel, 5x7"|
Just a reminder that there is no class this Friday, but our last class will be on April 25th.
New classes begin on May 9th. It will be a bit of an irregular schedule due to some other commitments, so take note of the dates.
Introduction to Drawing and Painting
Fridays, 1 - 4 PM
5/9, 5/16, 5/23, 5/30, 6/6, 6/20
Northlight Art Center
I recently read an article by Robert Genn, a wonderful contemporary artist. He talked about some simple rules for painting and I thought you might like to read what he said.
2. Put your first stroke down and move on with another stroke. Work your strokes and let your strokes work you.
3. Stop the painting before you think you should.
4. Put your painting aside and start another painting.
5. Always keep in mind that you are your own best critic.
6. Perfection in painting is probably not possible. Excellence in painting is for people who appreciate the poetry of your soul.
7. Your style is what you're doing academically wrong. Radicalize yourself -- you only have one life to show you've got style.
8. You need to paint with enough assurance and confidence to know you can do whatever you like. So paint your story and make painting your life. Be honest with yourself about your progress. Always try to do a better job than you did the day before. I'm not sure there are any other rules. Not ones that matter."
I'm not sure what he means about style in rule #7. I like the radical part, though! I think my style is changing and it is more abstract, like the painting above!
- Watch this video about painting in the style of the impressionists
- Are you attracted to this style? What do you like and what don't you like?
- Try painting in this style!!!