Diner Series... same palette!


Dear (Contact First Name),

Morning @ the Metro, pastel, 18x24"
 
I challenged my students to try doing a value under painting this week. It was tough! My admiration goes to all of you who gave it a try! It takes courage to push yourself out of your comfort zone!


 
Sandy is off to a great beginning on hers shown below!

 


This week I stuck to the same limited palette for another painting in the diner series.




This is my reference photo from yet another wonderful breakfast at the Metro!



I was attracted to the feeling of distance between the tables and the kind of "hopscotch" pattern of the placemats.






Here is the value under painting on grey Ampersand board. I use charcoal for the darks and a variety of light pastels to remind me of the lightest shapes.

 
 
Then I began to add more color...

 
This is the final result!
"Over Easy", pastel, 24x18"

Homework Challenge!
  • Get inspired by reading an article on any subject in art.
  • You might want to try reading this one by Richard McKinley...
Lessons of Still Life Painting
The Encyclopedia Britannica defines still life painting as “the depiction of inanimate subject-matter objects for the sake of their qualities of form, color, texture, and composition.”   Read more...

Judy




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've looked at life...

Bird Inspiration!

Comfort Zone Revisited