Limited Palette


When I was in junior high school my art teacher - Miss Crabtree - gave me a zero for coloring outside the lines of my color wheel!

Needless to say, I have always had negative associations with this art tool. However, I now know how useful it can be in helping an artist with color in their paintings.

Click here to review color theory!



This week I decided to take a pastel challenge to use a limited palette to complete a painting. This is my value under painting. I used Canson grey sanded paper along with charcoal and white pastel.

This is my palette. I chose two compliments - red and green, plus white, grey and black. The blue was for a kick at the end!



  Almost finished, but I wanted to kick it up a bit and tone down the fabric in the back.
 Note how the neutrals are created by blending compliments . 
 
 "Apple of My Eye", pastel, 9"x12"
   
Homework Challenge!
Learn the compliments for all 12 colors on the Color Wheel! 

Judy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've looked at life...

Bird Inspiration!

Comfort Zone Revisited